Ever since, Facebook has rolled out its new “Timeline feature” to all of it’s 800 million users on its network, it has been getting mixed reactions. Though the new Timeline has some new and interesting features to offer, some users on Facebook just find it too complicated and cluttered with the advertisements and news ticker on the right hand side. Some just don’t like the new look. Such annoyed users are desperately finding ways to disable and get rid of this new Timeline feature.
When Timeline was first released as a ‘test feature’, Facebook released it through an application which allowed testing the Timeline for a week and the users had an option to switch back to the old profile by disabling it. Since Timeline has now been released for all users, the bunch of users that didn’t like it are getting frustrated but left with no choice. Unfortunately Timeline is here to stay, atleast for the time being (Till Facebook thinks of something else) and there is no way you can disable it BUT, TechNutty has a very simple solution for you.
Simple Solution – IE 7
Though it is true that the Timeline feature will not be disabled or deleted, but there is a way that it will not be visible to you (it will still be visible to your friends). The solution my friends is very simple. Just Use Internet Explorer 7. Facebook Timeline is not supported on IE7 and probably won’t be in the future too. If you don’t want to browse your profile or your friends profile with Facebook Timeline, just use Internet Explorer 7. Yes, it is actually as simple as that.
Other Browser users
If you are using other browsers like Google Chrome, opera, Firefox or others and do not wish to use IE7, TechNutty still has a heartening solution for you. Though Timeline feature cannot be totally removed for you, but it can definitely be reduced to an extent that it starts resembling your earlier profile. Just follow the following procedure, step by step:
Steps to follow for NON IE 7 users:
- Open and log on to to your Facebook account in the browser of your choice.
- Go to the website Socialfixer.com in another tab of the same browser window in which Facebook is already open.
- You will see all popular browser icons. You will find that the Internet Explorer icon is crossed, as the Timeline does not appear in that browser in any case.
- Select the browser that you are currently using (in which Facebook and SocialFixer is already open). Let’s assume you selected ‘Google Chrome’
- Go back to your Facebook tab and Reload the page
- On the top right of the Facebook status bar, (just before your name and small profile photo), you will see a small icon (which was not there before). The small red box in the corresponding image represents the thumbnail of your profile picture. The ‘new’ settings icon is placed just to the ‘Left’ of it on your screen.
- Click on it and from the list that opens, select “Social Fixer Options”
- A list such as shown in the corresponding image will open. You can click on the image to get an enlarged view of the same.
- For each menu option on the left, like ‘Popular’, Layout’, ‘Posts’, ‘Display’ etc, a list of features will open on the right. Un-check ALL the boxes that you see. it is important so that you don’t tamper with any other settings.
- When you come to the “Timeline” feature, Check the bottom 4 boxes out of the total 5, as shown in the corresponding image. Click on the image to get a complete view.
- It will show a small text box reminding you to refresh your page. Click ‘ok’
- Go to your “Facebook’ tab and refresh your page.
Surprise! Your Facebook Timeline will now appear a bit closer to what it was. The cover photo would have gone to give you a BIG relief and some other icons, will give you a reminder of your OLD Facebook profile. It is very simple to do this, don’t get perturbed by the number of steps, it is just to make things simpler for you.
In case you decide to go back to your Timeline, you just need to disable the ‘Social Fixer’ by following these three easy steps.
- Go to Settings > Tools > Extensions, as shown in the corresponding image. Click on it to get a clearer view.
- In the Add ons, choose Social Fixer, Press the ‘Remove’ Button and then press ‘Uninstall’. See the image for clarifications.
- Refresh your Facebook page to reclaim your Timeline.
Have a nice time.